Sunday, June 10, 2007

Vasya

My first thought of defining spiritual gifts in my own life was looking what fruits of the Spirit have become present in my life. However, the general way I framed spiritual gifts was gifts not given naturally simply by birth, but gifts given after becoming a part of God's family. I could say more on this, but alas I am not Brad and I'm too eager to get on to my Title Story.

However, I will hesitate for one more comment, we have had SO much FUN making the video's for Champs Camp! We're hoping to get the green light on a slightly more serious video for the entire Round Rock congregation! We were really happy to be able to be a part of the Champs Camp experience!

And drum roll for the main point . . .

We were driving out to work at the soon to be home for the homeless, and Vasya a Russian minister was drinking a Coke. He saw that the three of us had only brought water and made the comment that 10 years ago all Americans ever had in their hands was Coke and now 10 years later we only have water. Why is this? We told him about the health crazes in America and how everything must be health conscious on the market these days. He then made a remark that caught me completely off-guard and hit me with a little bit more of different perspective. He said, "Yeah, I know it's probably not the best to drink, but when I decided to be a Christian I thought to myself that I probably wouldn't live long enough for that to matter anyway."

I'm not sure who spoke next, but who wants to follow that? The man actually thought that becoming a Christian would take years off his life on earth. The reality of being persecuted because one is a Christian still seems foreign to me, even though I know it is very real. I wondered how it would have affected my life decision to follow Christ if I had to make the assumption that it may have this kind of effect. I've been sitting here for a while and I'm really speechless, perspective continues to amaze me!

(by the way I just used the words affect and effect and still to this day have no idea how both are suppose to be used, so please forgive me and my unwillingness to ever figure it out)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pate The Great's Papa said...

your posts often have a profound affect on me...

The effect of which is my consideration of things like: spiritual giftedness and persecution...

Or at least I think that's how there used :)

I'll have to laugh if I'm right, given my weak grasp of the english language...

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home