Wednesday, October 04, 2006

And I have been defeated. Y'all dominated, and I'm officially excited about Abilene, Austin, H-Town and Jinja being officially represented.

I'm absolutely down with more discussion on that ("Christian Music"), it was a random question that popped into my head right before going to class last time. Now I have another that's not as random and extremely complicated or perhaps not at all.

I have recently attacked the current war we are in and would also consider myself a pacifist. In Church history/phiolosophy/life the question of Just War has come up with thoughts specifically coming from Augustine and earlier Christians.

I am about to head out to eat and then go to the Church I attend on Wed nights called College Drive devo where a bunch of college folk get together at a house/church, it's really neat.

I am really enjoying your comments and thoughts, hopefully I'll have some more time to throw in more myself!

"I think therefore I am?" (Smile)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love Descartes, but if "I think therefore I am" were too terribly true, the entire city of College Station's existence would be in doubt. Couldn't resist.

I'm not a big fan of Just War because I think of everyone who hasn't accepted Christ as a Christian who just hasn't realized it yet - I think you've used the term pre-Christian. So all violence is done to members of the Church, real or potential. My main test for if violence is justified is this: think of what someone could do to you that would make you want to use violence to protect yourself and/or harm them. Then imagine that person is your best friend or your wife or your mom - how would you react to that person? That's how we're called to act towards everyone.

Just my two cents. H-Town and Jinja, tag, you're it.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Pate The Great's Papa said...

Here's a little Anderson philosophy - "I AM. Therefore, I am."

"Just War". I really struggle with this one. Maybe it's supposed to be black and white, "war is bad." But maybe it's not... Let's set aside the current war on terrorism for a moment, and let's think back to WW2... Should the collective world have taken a pacifist stance against Hitler? Would Gandhi have been successful if Hitler (instead of the British Empire of his day) had been in power? In my mind there is a clear distinction. Also, it seems to be a question of personal vs. societal ethics. Jesus, clearly instructs the individual to take one for the team. I'm not so sure he asks the team to sit idly by and let the individual take a beating? I'm willing to hear it if "take one for the team" is a poor paraphrase of "turn the other cheek". Anyway, this is where I stuggle...

If we adopt Charles' stance that we are all "...members of the Church real or potential," then I would submit that the individuals (all being under the same edict: Don't resist an evil man... turn to him the other [cheek] also) would necessitate that the society (which they make up) should be able to live in peace and avoid at all costs - war. Again, I'm not so sure...

Same theme, different question: What about the battles ordained by God in the O.T.? If God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, then there has to at least be the potential for a "Just War" in the now...

I'm not sure what to do with all of this... Something about the overall question seems, wrong. I feel like each question leads to another, and ultimately back to the first... which suggests to me that we're asking the wrong question all together. Not sure what the right one is.

Love y'all,
J

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home