Thursday, September 07, 2006

I am still unpacking what we saw in Rwanda. Genocide seems like the absolule worst thing a group of people could do to another. For many weeks, however, this has created a giganitic question to the front of my mind. I do not have an answer, which is fine, so I encourage others to think about it without being afraid of it.

One of my favorite quotes is the "truth has no fear of examination."

Why did God use war and genocide (in the Old Testament)? The loving most wonderful and worthy God I know does not seem to coincide with this idea. However, He helped the Israelites destroy people groups with command after command to not leave a single person alive, to utterly wipe out a group of people.

I really want to rationalize this.

However, when it comes down to it maybe it's not for me to rationalize, but I will give you some things I have thought about.

The first is that God is completely just. His justice allows Him to judge those who have sinned and therefore destroying an evil people. Not satisfied I continue in thought.

It seems that over time God has changed how He treats humans. At one point in time, God wipes the entire human race out minus Noah to begin again. Right after this, He decides that He will never do that again, even though God knows we will be evil yet again because we are fallen. (Thanks to Ben for shaking some of this thought up in my head, smile) God uses methods of giving Judges, Kings and Prophets and it seems that humans continue to miss the point. All this to say God changes his dealing with people.

To add to this when God says something, it will be done. Creation. Boom. So when God declares to the Abraham that He will have 1) many descendants, 2) land for them and through Abraham 3) the world will be blessed, leading us to assume by Christ coming into the world . . . these things will happen. So perhaps because of these promises everything is secondary. Is that right or just? I don't know. But here's one thing I know is not just, a new promise we have been given.

I know that I am a sinner and by justice and the way things work I should be put to death. I cannot exist in God's presence because I represent sin. This places me in a place of utter dependence. I must depend that God's word is legit. To trust that when Jesus makes claims about a new type of living and a new covenant with people is being made that it will hold up. If justice takes place in this instance, I am doomed. I must hope that grace, the new covenant we can choose to submit to, will trump reason and that God will keep His promise.

So where does that leave the mess of God using war and genocide, I don't know. There are some possible rational reasons, but many times are faith comes down to an irrational faith that God knows what He is doing. He will choose to be good and His promises will never fail.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pate The Great's Papa said...

I've seen the movie "hotel rwanda". It was very sad to watch. But I can hardly put myself in that place of awareness (? - I don't know what else to call it) without watching the movie I become disconnected from it. I'm sure having been there it leaves a more permenant mark on you. I mean I can (on some small level) put myself in the shoes of the homeless because I've spent time experiencing life with them. I guess what I'm saying is that, as I read your blog, I felt guilty - that I can't relate to the kind of hurt caused by genocide.

I've really been struggling lately with the concept of suffering. Specifically, suffering along side those in the thick of it. Is that what we're called to? Clearly Jesus suffered. But to what end? Wasn't it so that we would have reconciliation? He didn't just suffer with us, he suffered for us, so that we wouldn't suffer (at least that's what I've been told). The thing is that line of reasoning doesn't always resonate with me - especially the last part - that he suffered so we wouldn't have to. At first I'm asking: Is it enough for me to suffer along side the hurting? Don't I have an obligation to pull them out from the mire if I can? But then I spin it the other way: Is it enough to help those that can not help themselves? Am I not blessed to be a blessing? But, don't I have an obligation to suffer along with them too?

Well, it's late, and I'm pretty sure that I'm rambling now and not making much sense. This seems like such a silly thing to get lost in... And, I'm lost in it.

Anyway, love ya bro! Keep seeking the Truth :)

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home