Monday, July 10, 2006

Writing has become extremely frustrating. First, because the power here just wont cooperate and I'll be sending a message to someone and my marathon letter will be lost because power failure. More than that, however, is because it is impossible to place these experiences into words. I want to share so badly, but this just cannot be put into words. There is also so much going on that it feels overwhelming to sit at the computer and either write about a single experience or try to glaze over many. Ok, now that I got that out, smile.

Monday is our day off! Spending a week going to the village is absolutely exhausting even though it is rewarding beyond belief. Sleeping in today was marvelous. Like I said in something before, a Sabbath day is absolutely necessary for us to function correctly.

First thought to struggle with today. How does suffering fit into this world. How can God let suffering exist? There is so much suffering in this place. Poverty. Sickness. Death. It is easy, especially as Americans, to glance over suffering because our world (as we think it) is full of safety, comfort and hidden suffering. Granted we see the horrific acts on the news (that only if we watch it) but beyond that death seems to be hidden. The elderly are somewhat covered up and youth is always glorified and flaunted around in our culture. So back to the question of suffering. If your ever lost in thought, I always go straight to the source, straight to Jesus' life. What did he have to say or do about these suffering issues. Most importantly, he was involved. He suffered with people. I think that is the ultimate answer, not that suffering is to be solved because Jesus did not solve these things. However he provided the antithesis to suffering, which is of course hope. However, he did not stop there. He crawled in the trenches with the lepors (by the way I encountered some people with leprosy the other day, and no mom it was not actively spreadable) he was with the poor, the downtrowdden and those suffering. That is where Christian life is to be focused. Not to the point that we're looking to suffer, but that when it comes we acknowledge it and get into people's lives and mourn with them. This is only a fraction of thought and an undeveloped one at that, but I encourage you to think about our response to suffering as Christians.

On another note, I saw the Spiderman 3 trailor by the grace of a missionary with high speed internet. SO EXCITING. Brad and I also just read that Pirates of the Carribean just took the largest weekend gross in the history of movies. So crazy. Which actually reminds me of something else. Man I'm so spoiled, I just can't get away from that being here. We were thinking of places that people line up in America. The theater was at the top of our list. In Uganda, the answer to that would be to get water. Running water is absolutely a luxery here. Think about that guys! Water, the life giving source, that we so easily take for granted is a luxery. There is no running water in homes not to mention all the other comforts we have. People line up for sometimes hours to get water before dark so they can spend hours preparing a meal (another seemingly simple task that takes at least 5x the time it takes in America).

Our Lusoga is forming, it's pretty exciting. The people love it. Let's be incarnational wherever we are. How does that sound. Be all things to all people. What a great idea. Well done Paul. That guy really knew how to look at Jesus' life.

We decided if we had a nickle for every time someone said "MUZUNGU" we would be rich. That meaning white person. It tickles me (yes tickles) that this society has no bars and that it is not taboo to say hey white guy. There are racial tensions here, but it seems slightly lighter at least. Maybe that's me being naive and pretending like I've been here a long time though. I also decided how low my self esteem would be if I was in America. Billions of times a day, I will simply be walking somewhere and children will laugh at me. HA, it makes me smile here, but do I really look THAT funny. The answer is yes. I've decided I have lost all my browness in comparison to everyone because I am one lightskinned dude.

I feel like I'm getting a little unfocused, but the internet has yet to cut out on me so I think I will give you one more thought. . . . after I say, WOW WORLD CUP. What a bizarre ending and I will never attempt to come close to a scary looking frenchman named Zidane because he will headbutt you with the force of a train. So intense.

The ministers here, the Ugandan minister, are really becoming mature in their faith. Way beyond me, they are leading and planting churches here. I cannot praise God enough for the way he has caused church leaders to grow here. At the same time credit is due to the missionaries of past and the current ones for doing their planting and watering. Many still have a long way to go, but its so wonderful seeing fruit from God.

We go bonding starting Friday and ending Sunday. I have yet to meet the minister in the village, partly because where I am staying is way out there. Spencer told me the village is very African. Meaning, they have absolutely no concept of time, so it's possible that I may not be able to leave any sooner than December, sorry mom.

Thank you all for your encouragement, prayers and simply reading what's going on in the life of a lanky indian dude. Love y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home