Friday, July 07, 2006

God doesn't need me. That's the idea I chewed on today . . . but first let me say a few things. I encourage you to check Brad's blog for further details on our days because we have the exact same schedule almost everyday and have shared the experience of the village and town together. It has been great because we have been able to talk and analyze and decompress all the amazing things we have learned and seen. I also encourage you to check out the Jinja missions website, which is the other link on this blog. Especially the intern's page, which is full of pictures and thoughts of the other interns as we will each update an entry for the website. I have not been able to put a link up for Sarah's blog, but it is on one of my updates and check that out as well.

As an American I thirst for purpose like a Ugandan would desire a modern life and progress a key word being development. However, as we thought about how money and “stuff” is not fulfilling and certainly not what we hope in, we also turned the microscope on ourselves. God doesn’t need me. It’s so hard to swallow, but at the end of the day I am only a tool. Obviously, I am not saying that doing work for God and participating in his mission is bad. I am saying that I should definitely never be on a high horse about serving and working for God and I should never place my identity into myself, in what I do and in what I accomplish as an individual. Man, I think as an individual way too much.

Yesterday, we traveled to a village and were in the car round trip for 5 hours, maybe more. FAR AWAY. Anyways, I am pretty sure a Muzungu (white person) has never stepped foot there, because I felt like an alien there more than any other place so far. We were instant celebrities. While it was cool for a moment, we quickly learned that we were the Muzungu show, being paraded around and it felt like it was a circus. Not cool. Each village possesses its challenges and its greatness. Villagers getting past looking at us as an attraction was the difficulty here, but the wonderful part was the children. When we finally sat down, we were engulfed in a mass of kids, approximately 200 in number with scattered adults as well. I hope they heard God amidst the craziness.

It’s amazing how important greeting is though. Learning the language is the single most important thing one can do to show that you care. Possibly even above being there, which doesn’t make sense, but being incarnational in language is so important. Let me also brag on the missionaries, they are getting it quickly and extremely well. I will never stop loving the expressions we get when this alien talks to them in their own language. Ben compared it to a bear walking up to you in the forest and then speaking to you in English.

I’m getting used to village food; the importance placed on visitors is so high and they always provide the best. I’m pretty high maintenance though.

The movement is truly fruitful. The missionaries are doing such a great job of discipling among so many other things. There is a generation of Basoga church leaders that are leading and planting strong churches.
Another struggle that happened today was working with the ministers of the Jinja Church of Christ. I (and Americans in general I think) are very controlling and want to give input and answers often. If we give answers and/or ideas though, they are taken as the final word. It is therefore difficult to guide without telling. By this I mean we were discussing with a minister what he would preach on this Sunday. Granted I do not know the culture as well as he does, there is still a general feeling of what needs to be said to the church even though it may be difficult for the church to hear and possibly unwelcome. In American terms, it is like convincing a minister to teach the lesson of the rich young ruler to an American church that has immense wealth. I still feel like I am unclear and do not want to be misunderstood, but another aspect that is difficult for us (me especially) is allowing people to fail.

So many things to say! However, I HAVE (smile) to go experience some more. I will try to update more. Man, God is so good! Thank be to God we don’t have to have it all together. I think it’s so healthy to struggle through thoughts and ideas though. Mwereba!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home