Monday, July 24, 2006

Sorry about that power failure, here's part two.

I will begin with rafting. The exclamation mark on this keyboard is not working so I’m hoping you will know that just about every sentence has one. Smile. So I rafted the NILE RIVER. Adventurers all over the world dream of this, class five rapids that rock you race off. Naturally, I teamed up with raftonda, our wonderful raft’s name and team name, a group of crazies who all wanted to flip and go nuts on the trip. They give a name for people like that at the rafting company, but I must plea the fifth on that one.
I don’t even know how to go about beginning to talk about the trip because it was so intense, however, death and suffering are inescapable in this place. Upon getting in the raft for take off a woman began screaming and two guides jumped in our boat and rowed off. A young boy or young man had drowned, our guide thinking a couple days before and was still in the water. Devastation plagues this place. Please pray for the people. For safety, but more importantly for spiritual health as well. No words can describe that situation, but I felt like not saying anything about it would be pretending suffering is not going on. Sadly, the entire situation seemed like a typical day and people knew what to do.
Our guide, Peter, was a great young guy. He definitely was able to scare us easily because most of us were rookies. He told the two strongest to get in the front and no one budged so Brad and I looked at each other and jumped in. The front is an INTENSE place to be to say the least. We learned the basic survival techniques that we would be needing on the course of the trip and how best to survive in general. Any event that requires the whole disclaimer if you die thing is going to be a wonderful trip.
On our first rapid, Rib Cage, named for someone who fell out and was smashed against a rock and broke his ribs was first on the list. As I am sure Brad has told you he messed up his knee really bad, at least for the rest of the day. He had his knee on the bottom of the raft and a rock banged it as we hugged the right side of the rapid, it was immediately like ten different colors, he is fine though, I’ll even give him some man points.
The next rapid was Bugigali falls, where we camped earlier this trip. The don’t want to flip raft in our entire lives with all the gals including Sarah definitely wiped out on this one. It was pretty neat, they were pretty freaked out. It was great. They are fine.
OK, this could take forever and I will have a video of it all to show those of you who are hardcore adventurers, but I must tell you about two rapids. The first was called the crazy place. At this point we had yet to flip and were getting antsy. We took crazy place to a new height. There is a single spot on the entire section wonderfully named the G-spot. Bet you never thought I would say that on a mission’s blog. It was glorious. The rapid worked just right where sections of water beautifully fused like a piece of Beethoven to form a freaking 15 foot monster. We hit the G-spot absolutely on target. Brad and I being on front of the raft instantly flew and took at least a 10 foot plunge into the depths of white water. People afar said they saw a paddle shoot up in the air and shortly after bodies begin spewing out of the raft. The guy behind us, Mike said for a moment water came into his eyes and when he reopened them, Brad and I were GONE. We were under for quite some time. There is no way to describe this feeling. You are helpless. The waves control you. You are in complete submission. You have no idea which way is up. You are struggling against force that truly destroys you. After a while I finally begin to come, and had not began to freak out at this point. Then I hit my head on the bottom of raft and was spent spirally to the depths yet again. This rapid had the longest rapid and would not let you go. As I said it’s indescribable but this being my first fall the thought did go through my head I am going to die. It was awesome. Ha, eventually my life jacket thrust me out of the water for a wonderful breathe that I so often take for granted. Many lessons were learned on this day as you can imagine.
I would also like to say that I was a true Indian on this day. All the white folk were deathly scared of sunburn and rightfully so, but I have not a burn on my body. Thanks dad. I think I’m officially dark for the summer too. It’s pretty neat.
The other rapid I want to tell you about is called the Bad Place. Yeah neat name. When we entered our raft, sorry we had gotten out to walk around a class six rapid that is ILLEGAL for commercial rafting, it began to pour bloody murder. It was so intense water all around you and at one point in began to hail. Basically the coolest situation ever. We had to decide to go left or right which meant a class five or four rapid. I was politicking for the class five as hard as possible but people were beginning to freak out especially after our tumble earlier in the day. Someone asked the guide what we should do and he strongly suggested the smaller rapid, which naturally freaked everyone who was toeing the line out and we took that direction. Later we found out that after our take off everyone made it clear that the left harder path was off limits because it was too shallow and would basically swirl you in a whirlpool and not let you out if you fell. How cool would it have been if we made it out and been like yeah if we fell we would have died. I thought so too mom.
So many stories about this day, I should have a video for those interested later.

…………………………

The BBS, Basoga Bible School starts today for a week of intense training for Ugandan ministers and I am extremely pumped up about that including the fact I will see my host family father Samson hopefully in minutes. These guys must find there own transportation as well as put up some money for the school so they are legit, its so cool the discipleship going on in this place.

………………………..

Also I wanted to mention failure. I know that I am a pretty impressive guy and it seems like I would never fail on the mission field, but I think I have presented this blog without pointing out the utter failures we have been going through. I was lost in translation this last Sunday as I was preaching on “perseverance” with a moderate translator. I failed miserably as I often have on this trip whether it is with language, cultural faux pas, or teaching. Ben later said he would translate like this “and we must have that word, and if we are that word than God will …” I officially paused and realized nothing was going through that day and decided to pray for the church at that point, then later prayed for the sick. Anyways, failure has absolutely surrounded me I just like to pretend like I am a seasoned veteran sometimes.

……………………..

At this time I would like to put down some thoughts from my journal.
People want a savior. I am not him. Ugandans treat development as God so often and therefore the Muzungu become their saviors because we have brought education, cars, Christianity and money. I like the attention sometimes because people gather to hear you, but is it only like seed falling on the road to be quickly snatched up by Satan?
I am not here to solve problems – poverty, sickness and death. Jesus did not even do that, but he did two things. He helped out sometimes, however, all those he healed still eventually died. Secondly, he suffered with people. That’s the big one. That is the greatest truth I have learned here so far I believe.
Next to that I have learned things about America, which have been easier to see on the outside looking in. Naturally, they have been mostly negative things. Being at least in awe with if not disgusted by the wealth we have. I think about Holt, my brother, who has no way of fathoming how easy life is for him, in a physical and comfort sense. 90 percent of the world lives in the poverty that I have seen here.
Upon coming here I thought I would find that Satan’s greatest tricks were persecution and hardship on believers, but the world desires and is becoming like the West. In my opinion, Satan is even more effective at the game he is playing with the western world. Materialism grabs us, delights of the world distract us, fast-paced lives sedate our spiritual lives, consumerism is our goal and prize and development is our god.
Perhaps equal to or greater than this god is the god of nationalism, patriotism and democracyism if that is a word. Not that any of those things are bad in themselves, but we have exalted them to the point where we believe America is God’s gift to the world. We believe in the gospel of freedom in this life and we will even go as far as to say killing people is worth that cost of spreading the “gospel” of democracy.
The Church has also become great friends with power. We buddy up with the government and give the Church vote. Not that voting in any way is bad, because it is more than likely a duty of Christianity to speak out for the oppressed. However, I think as a general rule if Christianity is a driving force of power, using worldly authority or even using power to fight power we are most likely if not definitely in the wrong. Our savior was crucified. Our number one go to missionary who we laud was killed in Rome. Apostles were murdered. Prophets were slaughtered. God does not play by the rules of the world, why is the American Church trying to?
My gears have been reversed in many ways. God has worked on this little western boy, but I am sure I have not scratched the surface of truth and God. It amazes me that I will never have it I will never hold all the answers, if any, never have the world figured out, but will always be scraping for truth, continually learning, constantly struggling with this world, myself and God. We talked about Heaven as being a place where we eternally dive deeper into understanding. Understanding of God, his qualities and his love.

……………………………….

Man – how we control life in America is crazy. Birth control, abortion, genes stuff we have to control everything don’t we? Decisions based on money rather than love, so sad.
What does the story of the rich young ruler mean for me?
If I was a missionary would I live in a house or in the bush in a hut? I will be different either way. I will always have the option to pick up and leave. They will not. But will it be easier to prove God, and I, loves them?

……………………………

I have pasted and seen Jesus a lot today. What I do for the least of these I do for Him. Relationships are what life is all about. How you treat people is more important than any doctrine, any claim or anything. Why would Jesus care by what standards you live by if you don’t even look at him on the side of the road? I am not asking for a crusade for the poor, although I am, but having a relationship with the least of these is a relationship with Jesus.
Poverty surround us here. People surround us everywhere. People don’t have running water. Bikes are an absolute luxery.
Rafting. Wow.
Woman just threw up in the car. And again. . . . . it actually happened seven times.

………………………………

Well there are a few thoughts to chew on. Once again I want to say thank you for caring, reading, loving, praying and all that you are doing. I know there were some crazy stories and ideas in there. I am all right and kicking. In fact, I am about to go dominate Spencer is some doubles volleyball on our day off, I hope your reading this Spence after you were dominated. Smile.
Look for relationships, share the love of God. Be Christ.
Therefore, be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pate The Great's Papa said...

Love y'all! Really wish I could have been there to play some volleyball in Africa... and raft the nile in a manner not approved by mothers the world over... and oh yeah, love on people for the glory of God... and experience a wealth of spiritual growth in a short span of time... and make mistakes with the language and culture that only God could redeem... et al.

Give everyone my love! And please, give Ben, Spencer, and Adam "awkward" hugs on my behalf!

J

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home