Thursday, August 31, 2006

SLOW DOWN!

Sit with God for a minute or two.







I'm watching the movie Crash with a group of guys that I love. My new mission field. However, in this field, people are dealing more with loneliness, self-esteem, lust and a million other American culture things. Not to say they are not world wide, because they are, but just different. I'm rambling.

We had an opening ceremony chapel the other day for ACU's 101st year. For the first time in my life I had a pit in my stomach the entire time as I watched flags, nationalism and an idol be presented in front of us. We sang a song proclaiming it is our job to spread freedom, our God given duty. The ceremony ended with a MASSIVE US flag falling into glory as we said the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem.

It was the first time I did not say/sing both of those things. The things about nationalism I was made aware of in Africa were tested. I felt really wrong, I did not know if me not saying the pledge was right or wrong or neither. I suppose I still do not completely know, but I felt 19 years of American conditioning tugging at me as I naturally placed my hand over my heart.

What is the balance of patriotism to one's country?

Once again I feel as if I havent said anything, so I apologize, but this movie is entralling as I sit in a lobby that consists of half white and half minorities. It's so exciting because we are looking at real life and the problem of racial tensions together.

One last thing, I once again discovered.

Relationships are all that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home