Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Yes, This is a Heading

So here's the question swirling in my mind.

Where is the line between boldly speaking truth, that I myself believe proclaiming the truth and knowledge of Jesus and God's kingdom vs. living in a post-modern world where people do not take a liking to anything being pressed on them?

When and where do I say here is the message rather than living the message? Obviously, living out the life is a necessity, but where does speaking in confidence and faith come into play in our society.

I think in Russia, they are soaking up the message so easily this question may not need to be asked. It is as simple as presenting the good news and sitting back. Our society can always decide whether or not they will accept what Christians say, but by taking a more vocal approach are people turned off? Ok, I don't think I need to repeat myself anymore, y'all get the idea.

I am excited about Russia, talking about Russia, preparing about Russia, praying about Russia and everything in between.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

A few things:

1. I like the new infinitesimally small picture.

2. I like the heading.

3. Good question for America and Russia. I don't think we should be afraid of sharing, but I also think the push for always being ready to say "Now can I tell you about my personal Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" is ridiculous. I think living it is first, ministering pain and sharing in suffering is second, and explicitly sharing Jesus is third. That is to say, live it, form a relationship, share. But I also have no idea.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Correction: not "ministering pain" (or "administering pain") but ministering to painful situations. Whew.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Pate The Great's Papa said...

Yes, itty-bitty Heath, I think this is a question that we must wrestle with?

I am often scared to speak the good news before I believe I have adequately lived it, and cultivated a relationship with someone...

That being said I'm more afraid that I have inadvertently and often approached the topic from a marketing stand point... I don't want to scare away my potential customer, so I'll just be subtle about the whole Jesus thing... Maybe we can discuss religion or even the Church, but let's just save Jesus until I'm certain that His name won't offend...

But the thing is - any effort (generally speaking) to avoid conflict (especially concerning the Name above all names - Jesus) completely negates one's effort to enter into meaningful relationship. Someone once said, “Conflict, handled appropriately, is the gateway to true community.” Avoiding conflict unknowingly numbs us to true community and robs us of the joys of suffering alongside and for the mission of our Savior.

No matter the moniker "modern", "post-modern", "postal" there will always be an aversion to the light for those who are imprisoned by darkness.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home