Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sarah, Brad and I had the opportunity to meet with Spencer and Emily two weekends ago. I was star struck right off the bat. What do you say really? You changed my life. You are one of my heros. I have not seen you in about two years. What's up? It was quite a conundrum. However, if you plan on talking for 5 hours you have to get past that. Those five hours sure flew by! Thinking back on that time, I was able to connect again with one of my personal mentors and older brother who guids me in the steps of Jesus. What a wonderful source of direction those two are! Spencer Bogle is one of the best live-rs in this world I am convinced. As a middle schooler I was in awe by the way his words and actions and everything matched up like a guy in the Bible we were reading about so often when we were together.

I started thinking to my last few days at home in high school. I could not image life without a youth minister. I mean honestly where are the adult youth ministers? We really need some. Then coming to college my wonderful professors who I could brag on for about 10 pages took that place. They are wonderful live-rs as well. ACU, I am convinced, has the most wonderful cast of characters and Christian people in the higher education system, they care so much about their students and people in general.

Then I began to think after this whole college thing who my mentor will be? It is so important to have an older, more mature and wiser Christian to follow. They are able to see Christ a little bit clearer, obviously, because they have been going towards him. I am not saying age is necessarily a factor, however, it is so important to find someone who is further along in their journey to run behind. Who is that for you?

If you do not have a personal mentor or person you feel like you learn from, I encourage you to find one. If I am lucky, I will be an old man with many mentors still. This is just a shot in the dark, but I bet there is like a reversal and you start learning from the younger folks, because generally the way things work are so crazy upside down. Ha, no although I am sure you will learn more from people around you, surely that is not how it works. I have heard from many parents that they learn more from their kids, than they teach them during their lifetime, but that is a whole other story! Thank you mentors! Keep on leading and following.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home